21-26 May 1978
In the spirit of concern, we 30 participants to a study seminar on society and institutions sponsored by the Office of the Bishop-UCCP Mindanao Jurisdiction from 27 March to 2 April 1978, in Davao City, reflected on the following issues:
- The increasing concentration of wealth and power om the hands of the few;
- The preferential treatment accorded multi-national corporations resulting in the exploitation of our natural resources for the benefit of these foreign interests, and the irreparable damage inflicted on our environment due to the uncontrolled operations of agricultural and industrial corporations;
- The violation of basic human rights of the greater majority of our people, including the right of food, clothing, and shelter;
- The enslavement of the greater majority of our people, producing crippled beings, not creatures of God, enmeshed in a culture of silence;
- The sense of helplessness and despair of the greater majority of our people, resulting from and reinforming their powerlessness;
- The political and economic inequality as the primary divider, particularly in the Mindanao and Sulu, rather than the cultural-religious differences which are often times over-played; and,
- The reinforcement by the institutionalized Church of the unjust social structure which is faithlessness to its prophetic and transforming ministry.
- We reiterate our stand for genuine human development seeking solidarity with the people in their struggles for justice and liberation.
- We urge all to take positive steps towards the protection of our environment from agricultural and industrial exploitation and desolation;
- To encourage the formation and strengthening of people’s organizations to ensure popular participation in decision making;
- We call upon the institutional church to fulfill its commitment of identification with the deprived, the enslaved, the accused and the despised;
- We seek the peace that can only spring from situations where “justice rolls like a mighty stream” and development takes cognizance of the dignity of the people.
Ref: General Assembly, 78-117, 21-26 May 1978, p. 35.