I. Everything has its own time (vv.1-8)
Each and everything has its own time, at different times, bad or good times. The facts are mentioned and they are as follows:
- time for birth and the time for death,
- the time for planting and the time for pulling up,
- the time for killing and the time for healing,
- the time for tearing down and the time for building,
- the time for sorrow and the time for joy,
- the time for mourning and the time for dancing,
- the time for making love and the time for not making love,
- the time for kissing and the time for not kissing.
- He sets the time for finding and the time for losing,
- the time for saving and the time for throwing away,
- the time for tearing and the time for mending,
- the time for silence and the time for talk,
- the time for love and the time for hate,
- the time for war and the time for peace.
II. Everything is not permanent
- We are in a world of disposables
- Everything perishes
- They are out of man’s power
- Their impermanence bring vanity
Ecc 1:2 It is useless, useless, said the Philosopher. Life is useless, all useless. Ecc 1:3 You spend your life working, laboring, and what do you have to show for it? Ecc 1:4 Generations come and generations go, but the world stays just the same. Ecc 3:9 What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboreth? Ecc 3:10 I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.
III. Everything serves the purpose of God
- No man can alter what God has designed
Ecc 3:14 I know that everything God does will last forever. You can’t add anything to it or take anything away from it. And one thing God does is to make us stand in awe of him. Ecc 3:15 Whatever happens or can happen has already happened before. God makes the same thing happen again and again. Ecc 3:16 In addition, I have also noticed that in this world you find wickedness where justice and right ought to be. Ecc 3:17 I told myself, “God is going to judge the righteous and the evil alike, because everything, every action, will happen at its own set time.” Ecc 3:18 I decided that God is testing us, to show us that we are no better than animals.
IV. That human may find happiness in what he does.
Ecc 3:22 So I realized then that the best thing we can do is enjoy what we have worked for. There is nothing else we can do. There is no way for us to know what will happen after we die.